Tuesday, July 5, 2011

5k

2 weeks ago I was talking to my girlfriend about the 10k Freedom Run that started out on as a Marathon years ago (which my dad holds the record for), that turned into a half marathon, that turned into a 10k. It used to start over the Milford Lake Dam, but now starts on Washington street between 5th and 6th streets. Well during our conversation she informed me that they are doing a 5k.

3.1 miles. I've been running for awhile, but never 3.1 miles. I talked to my hubby about it, who was more worried about my knee then I was. I called my mom and asked if I decided to run it if she would be able to watch the kids. Of course she said yes.


With my knee pain I've been trying different methods to make it feel better. After talking to my dad and a few friends a new pair of running shoes was in order. So I went to Manhattan Running Company. They put me in a new pair of shoes that are AMAZING!! My knee pain however didn't go away. The guy that helped me at MRC said that I probably Iliotibial Band Syndrome. It only hurts when you run and the only way to fix it is by running.....I'll keep running!!


On July 2nd I decided I was running the 5k race. So I registered. There was no going back now!! I woke up early on the 4th did a lot of stretching and headed to the park. I was anxious, and excited. Praying to God that my knee pain would hold off so I could run. My mom, dad, older sister, my best friend Neva, Brandon and the kids were there. Brandon actually took a day off of work on a holiday!! 7 o'clock came and the race started!


My knee felt good until about mile marker 2. I walked 2 blocks knowing that I can make it this far I only have 1.1 mile left. Adrenaline kicked in. By the time I hit 5th Street I knew that I could run it because I had done it before!! The 3 blocks to the park I had ran it many times. I kicked it into gear, my knee hurt but the finish line was right there. I ran 3.1 miles in 30:11. My average mile was 9:44. I finished a 5k, I DID IT!! I can't wait for more 5k races!!


My new treasured moment was when my dad came up after the race, the look on his face was priceless. The look of a proud dad. Luckily my husband was there to capture the moment in a picture.


1 comment: